Friday 26 May 2017

Overview of Celebrity Endorsement

This is my last blog post and to finish them off I wanted to basically summarise everything I’ve recently found out about celebrity endorsement. Alongside doing these blog posts I’ve also been carrying out an investigation to discover the influence celebrity endorsement has on consumers purchasing habits.

First of all, I want to give my opinion on celebrity endorsement. I think this is an incredibly useful PR tool – as long as it’s used properly. The brand and the product/brand need to match up. There is no point picking a random celebrity that has no interest in what you’re selling. As well as this, the target market for the product needs to be interested in the celebrity. This is the first stage of being successful. The second stage is also to do with who is picked. Celebrities with good reputations will only bring positive coverage to your brand, however if they slip up at any point and receive any form of bad press, this could impact the brand and quite frankly damage it due to the relationship with the celebrity.

From the research I carried out for my investigation I did three forms of observation, these were on social media, magazines and TV. The findings were actually quite interesting. Although carried out for the longest period of time, social media had such an obvious large amount of promotion tweets, that I see daily without even properly realising. I didn’t even go out looking for them on accounts I just used what I saw on my newsfeed when I checked like I normally would. I was surprised by the amount in magazines as they are a bit sneakier with their endorsements. There are the obvious ones such as adverts and interviews speaking about what celebrities are up to. But there’s also such sneaky ones such as in a column written by Amy Childs about her pregnancy she speaks about the different products she uses just in a sentence. Although it doesn’t seem like a big deal this is a celebrity endorsing their products. 

As well as these observations, Marks and Spencer’s use of celebrity endorsement was also looked into. This was quite interesting to look at as they’ve used so much different celebrities for so many different kinds of markets. In my opinion there most successful one was the use of Alexa Chung, especially since that was targeting towards a younger audience to try and change their image as a lot of young people view it as old fashioned and more for older people. Alexa was a good pick for the brand as she could kind of relate to both target markets of young and old and she still fitted with the brand. 


I feel like after writing all these blogs and carrying out a whole investigation on the topic, I’m always going to look out more for celebrity endorsement. I already have as I was basically trying to carry on my social media observation after it finished as I kept seeing more and more promoted posts!

I’ve actually really enjoyed researching this topic and writing these blogs so will be sad to see them go! However, my campaign twitter, not so much…

Hope everyone who has read these has enjoyed reading them and learnt something new about celebrity endorsement.

2 comments:

  1. Do you think you would ever start up your own personal blog now you've finished the college one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. id like to think i would but i sometimes question what id actually write about - my life is not that exciting!

      Delete